Thursday, August 25, 2011

I haven't been calling him "flip-flop" for nothing

I was calling Mitt Romney "flip-flop" back during the '07 Republican primary season when I was a blogger for Mike Huckabee. And it was for good reason -- Mitt's changed his position, or in the political lingo "modified," on pretty much every conservative platform issue from abortion to second amendment rights.


Now comes this doozy:


Back in June of this year, Mitt defiantly claimed “I believe the world is getting warmer, and I believe that humans have contributed to that.” Adding “It’s important for us to reduce our emissions of pollutants and greenhouse gases that may be significant contributors.” Members of his campaign doubled down on those statements saying that Mitt would not back off that position.


Now with Rick Perry in the ascendancy, oh, how things have changed. Or, since we're speaking of 'ole flip-flop here, they've actually stayed the same.


Mittens got dressed down by Senator James Inhofe of Oaklahoma for his p.c. position on anthropogenic global warming. Presidential candidate Romney responded in his typical fashion at a town hall meeting in Lebanon, N.H.:


“Do I think the world’s getting hotter? Yeah, I don’t know that but I think that it is . . . I don’t know if it’s mostly caused by humans.”


Okay, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that he's changed positions here. And this is an example of blatant political cover, much like how Mitt is now couching his promotion of RomneyCare as a 10th amendment thing, hoping to hitch a ride on the current cause de jour amongst conservatives and libertarians.


This is why I'm perplexed by Mitt's coveted position among pundits and commentators on the right. I think I'd rather have a cowboy like Perry running than someone whose position is going to change with every poll or gust of political wind.